noble building, the foremost opera house in Palermo, was started in 1875
by G. B. Basile and completed by his son Ernesto in 1897. Regarded as
one of the largest theatres in Europe, covering an area of 7,730 sq m, it was decorated and embellished by a large
number of artist including the sculptors B. Civiletti, M. Rutelli and A.
Ugo. The stage curtain was painted by G. Sciuti and depicts Roger the
Norman parading on the day of his coronation. The vast and magnificent
hall (450 sq m) has a gallery and five orders of boxes for a total of